[jawsscripts] Help With Automatic Window Reading Code

  • From: "Homme, James" <james.homme@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "jawsscripts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <jawsscripts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 15:22:19 -0400

Hi,
I'm attempting to write scripts for K-chess elite. I want JAWS to identify and
be able to read four windows either automatically or with a key press. I want
to toggle which window it reads automatically. I want to get it to read any
combination of the windows automatically. I have the following situation.

* When the program opens or I Alt Tab to it, I can always count on focus
landing in the same window.

* The window I land in isn't one of the ones I want to read.

* The other windows are all read only edit windows.

* When the program first runs, the handle for each window is unique.

* The control I D for each window is the same as its handle, so I can't count
on using the control I D to identify any of the windows.

* I can always press the Tab key to get to the windows and I can always count
on being able to press Tab x number of times to get focus to go into one of the
windows.

* I can always read the windows manually with the cursor if I want to.

* I'd rather not have to simulate tab presses to find and read a window either
automatically or manually.

* I think that two of the windows will always have the same line of text at the
top.

* None of the windows is a real window.

* I should have no trouble making the code to work for the verbosity tree part
of this.

* I should be fine for the keyboard help part of it too.

Any ideas about identifying and finding the windows to read other than
simulating tab presses?

Thanks.

Jim

Jim Homme
Usability Services
412-544-1810
james.homme@xxxxxxxxxxxx

"You can do anything you want to if you put your mind to it" -- Jim Homme Sr.

for use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed.  If you have