[jawsscripts] Re: An interesting scripting problem

  • From: Soronel Haetir <soronel.haetir@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jawsscripts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 7 May 2012 18:49:10 -0800

Note that the desktop window with a handle of 0 is the root desktop
window, it's what is  present if explorer dies (or is killed).  The
usually visible desktop window is the shell desktop window.  I know
there's a windows API to get that too, but I'm not sure if  jaws
script mirrors it, and I'm too lazy to go look.

On 5/7/12, Don Marang <donald.marang@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> The Desktop has a window handle of 0.  If you look at the window
> hierarchy, the Desktop is at the root of the entire window tree of
> handles.  Therefore, starting a window handle search starting with 0
> searches through all handles from all applications.
> *Don Marang*
> Vinux Package Development Coordinator - vinuxproject.org
> <http://www.vinuxproject.org/>
>

> On 5/7/2012 12:13 PM, Steve Matzura wrote:
>> I'm not sure, but I went another route (see other messages with better
>> script solution).
>>
>> On Sun, 6 May 2012 19:59:51 -0500, you wrote:
>>
>>> A start handle of 0?  That won't work, will it?
>>> Don't you need to have a valid handle of some ancestor?

>>> then
>>> Say ("search window present.", ot_jaws_message, false)
>>>
>>> ; Insert code to set focus to the window. Should I even bother
>>> ; with this?
>>> ; Should I just try setting focus and if it fails, assume the window's
>>> ; not present?
>>>
>>> else
>>> Say ("search window is not present.", ot_jaws_message, false)
>>>
>>> endif
>>>
>>> EndScript
>>>
>>> The problem is, it always comes up saying the window is present, even
>>> when it's not.

Soronel Haetir
soronel.haetir@xxxxxxxxx