[jaws-uk] Re: jaws working with a.o.l.:

  • From: "Tristram Llewellyn" <tris-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jaws-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 17:15:03 -0000

Hi Listers

The term "vanilla ISPs" is merely my way (and some others too) that
distinguish those ISPs that provide their own services on top of just plain
internet, AOL and Compuserve being examples of these where content and
certain facilities are provided only for their customers as distinct from
public internet which everyone can access.  Now everybody wants to be on the
web it's unlikely you are going to miss out on anything major by choosing
standard ISPs over AOL and the like.

The disctinction in our modern era has become more clouded now that some
ISPs include spam dection and fildering, email to fax and anti-virus
filtering however on the whole these don't create problems with speech users
except with notable exception BT/Yahoo.

Broadband packages vary greatly in general price terms but good connections
can be found under the £20 month barrier with ease.  Plusnet is often
recommended on lists and is a good buy, has flexible options depending on
what kind of user you are likely to be.  Plusnet's site is
www.plusnet.co.uk.  There of course others which hopefully others may
mention.

I'd only be wary of packages costing £14.99 or less that cliam no limits
download usage, the problem is that everybody else will be onto the deal and
kaning the service possibly at your expense, so your lovely 512/1mb
connection may be slow due to contention issues.  More managed services like
Plusnet tend to look initially less attractive in comparison but provide
different levels of service for different price bands and is therefore
generally more consistant.  Something akin to no limits (fair use) can be
had from Plusnet for about £21 monthly.

Regards.

Tristram Llewellyn
Sight and Sound Technology