[jaws-uk] Re: help with website

  • From: Léonie Watson <tink@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jaws-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 22:23:54 -0000

Paul,

        Jaws has little to do with it. It's simply a badly built,
inaccessible website. It's more than likely that the designer has never
considered the need for accessibility, so it's worth getting in touch.

        Some of the more apparent difficulties are detailed below. If you'd
like more information on any of them, let me know.

*Flash content is inaccessible.
*No structural elements (lists, headings etc.) have been used.
*Several links cause popup windows to open.
*Tables have been used to control the layout of each page.
*The site won't display correctly on mobile devices, or on screens with a
resolution other than 1024 x 768 pixels.
*Changing the size of text in Internet Explorer is not possible.
*The use of frames and the lack of consistent navigation means that once
you've opted to view an area of the site, there's no means of returning to
the home page.

        Must admit, I haven't looked too closely, but it's been a while
since I've seen anything quite this atrocious! If you do get in touch with
Pete Price, it's worth passing on the following links for his designer to
peruse.

Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG 1.0):
http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG10/

Nomensa articles:
http://www.nomensa.com/resources/articles.html

Regards,