[jaws-uk] Wish List for JAWS 12

  • From: <tim.pennick@xxxxxx>
  • To: <jaws-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Dec 2009 08:43:16 +0000

All,

Well I know we've only just got JAWS 11 done and dusted, but I'm wondering
whether there's any mileage in trying to get together a list of
enhancements/fixes which people think would be particularly popular in the next
full release.

Personally, I'd like to see a major effort put into enhancing support for
Braille displays.  I'd like to be able to use JAWS "ears free".  In the days
before Windows, I used a Braille display without speech synthesis, but find
that I quickly become disorientated if I switch the sound off in current
versions of JAWS.  (I use a Focus display).  (I'd be interested to know how
deaf-blind JAWS users manage to counter-act these issues.)

I'd also like to see enhanced support for Office 2007.  For me, response times
in Word and Outlook in this version appear to have reduced my efficiency,
though I don't know if this is a JAWS specific issue, or more a result of
problems inherent in Office 2007.

I understand that everyone's priorities are different, and that it's almost
impossible for manufacturers of screen readers to satisfy everyone's demands,
but I'd be interested to know if anyone else on this list would agree with the
above points as being particularly worthy of attention in the next version.

Regards,

Tim Pennick

*** Disclaimer ***

The views expressed above are my own, and don't necessarily represent the views
of my employer.