[jaws-uk] Re: Maggie Moore Tiddy or anywone

  • From: "MaggieMoore" <maggie_moore@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jaws-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2006 14:31:01 +0100

Hi Dorothy,

You can still use BT 195 from a Onetel line, and for free from your mobile,
though you have to register your mobile number with 195 in order to be able
to do this.

We have only one telephone line, but as we have broadband there is no
conflict between internet and telephone, so I don't see why you would need
to have a second line.

You can just use Onetel for the package you require, and still rent your
line from BT.  I have never had the problems you describe with the line
failing, so can't comment on what Onetel's response would be in that
situation.  Thinking about it though, if this is something that happens to
you often, it might be worth having your land line and mobile line provided
by the same company, whichever that might be, so that you could put pressure
on them to let you have free air time on your mobile whilst they fixed your
land line.

As to the Belkin box, it connects to the PC in exactly the  same way an
external modem does.  That is, it plugs in to the mains and  also has a
telephone connector and a USB connector which plug in to the CPU, the main
gubbins of your PC.  When you have connected the cables and turned your
computer on, JAWS will talk you through the set up process.  I needed a bit
of additional help from their helpline to find  our ID on the system.  It
was very easy when they told me how to do it though.

You also mentioned making a note of telephone numbers.  Do you use the
address book on your computer?  I find that unless I put numbers on there or
onto my mobile, I lose them instantly.  If you have speech software on your
mobile, and have registered the number with 195, then that is probably the
best way to get numbers, as 195  will immediately send you a text with the
number, and you will have a record of that until you delete it.

Hope all that makes sense.

Good luck,

Maggie