[jaws-uk] Jaws losing his voice.

  • From: "Paul Benson" <paul.benson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jaws-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2011 08:46:10 -0000

Hello Angela and all,

I am not a jaws user, just observing the list for a possible future switch. I
use 2 other commercial screen readers, and they both suffer the same as you
describe. This points to something in Windows, rather than the screen readers.
This problem for me, seems to have got worse over the last few months.

I recently had a look at my C-drive. I noticed 3 new folders had been created.
They were easy to spot, they were at the top of all the folders, because they
did not have meaningful names, but were a random string of numbers and letters.
I had a look inside each folder, and there was just one application in each
folder, called MRT. These folders were downloaded without my knowledge,
starting mid October, next mid November, last in mid December.

I did a search on MRT, and found it was, Microsoft Real Time, and seems to be
part of a security system. The comments on the pages, found in the search, were
mixed. It seems MRT is very greedy for RAM, and takes so much of it, I have
4GB, that the screen reader can not function.

Some people were just glad to have a real time security system working for
them, others were quite annoyed, and chose to remove it. Removal appeared to
not affect the running of their computers, though of course, you only know
removal is an error when you have a security-breach.

I choose to live with the frustration of occasional silence, and sometimes the
loss of all keyboard functions, which in the latter case means loss of work on
emails or documents.

I may be totally wrong, but it is a coincidence that these folders containing
MRT are now present, as is the increased loss of voicing.

Paul Benson.