[jaws-uk] Jaws and Lotus

  • From: "Ken Reid" <ken.reid@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "JAWS Users" <jaws-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2006 19:46:56 -0000

Wendy
Lotus is a software supplier, like Microsoft, but they have been losing the
battle for market share over many years.  They have a range of products that
were once mainstream, particularly in the UK, but are mostly marginal.

The best known was Lotus 1-2-3, their spreadsheet package.  They also have a
word processor - Wordpro, and a graphics package - Freelance (I think).

The only thing you here much about now is Lotus Notes, which is their e-mail
system, with lots of other functions that make it generally better than
Outlook, but just much less prevalent.  It is mostly accessible with JFW,
although it does need a bit of care and manipulation.  I currently use Notes 5
with JFW 7 at work, and can do most things I need to do.  We are about to
upgrade to Notes 7, so I am inevitably anxious about the compatibility issues.
Maybe JFW 8 will keep me in touch with Notes.

Hope this helps clarify a bit.

Ken