[jaws-uk] Re: JAWS turned Spanish

  • From: Tristram Llewellyn <tristram.llewellyn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'jaws-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <jaws-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2011 10:40:00 +0000

For many years JAWS has had the capability to switch between languages it
detects.  Language codes can be found both in Microsoft Word documents and on
web pages.  The ones on web pages will be deliberately marked up by the athor
to show their intended language.  However, Microsoft Word is a different matter
in that althoughit is possible to mark pages up manually Word will also put
codes in automatically, I suspect this is what is happening.

Probably the simplest solution is this which will stop JAWS changing languages.
 Unless you are polyglot then this should be a good solution:
1       Press JAWSKey+F2 and select "configuration manager".
2       Then press Control+Shift+D to open the "Default" configuration.
3       Press ALT+S to open the "set options" menu.
4       Then choose "Text processing" and press ENTER.
5       Press TAB until you locate the "Detect language" checkbox.  Please
uncheck it using g the SPACEBAR.
6       Then press TAB to reach the "OK" button and press SPACEBAR on it.
7       Press alt+F4 and then ENTER on the "yes" button when prompted to save
the changes.

The effect of the above changes is to tell JAWS to ignore any underlying
language code and speak using only the selected speech synthesizer.  So for
example if you only like the English British voice and want to hear it always
then the above adjustment will help you make that so.

Regards.

Tristram Llewellyn
Sight and Sound Technology
Technical Support
www.sightandsound.co.uk

Mail:
Tristram: tristram.llewellyn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Technical: Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
General - info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Phone:
Support line: 0845 634 7979

Sight and Sound Technology Limited is a company registered in England and
Wales, with company number 1408275.

Sight and Sound Technology
Welton House North Wing
Summerhouse Road