[jaws-uk] Re: ISP Plusnet

  • From: "Tristram Llewellyn" <tris-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jaws-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 13:33:16 +0100

Plusnet is a small to medium sized ISP, it is nowhere near as big as some you
can go to in the UK.  For the most part I find this a positive aspect.  Being a
Plusnet customer I have never had a problem.  Whereas I have had dropped
connections I couldn't get back on other connections I have access to Plusnet
has never actually failed yet in approximately 2 years.
Most ISPs don't know much about visual impairement as it represents a tiny to
negligable amount of their customer base.  Demon are known partly through some
history to have better support than most in this area but you would pay for it.
 The vast majority of users need very little ongoing support once the setup has
been done properly, the rest is about how you use the applications.  Some offer
a home installation service, if they do go for their equipment as well, the ISP
would need to know if you have ethernet or only USB connection, in practical
terms anything else won't do.  For users who are confident buy your own choice
hardware if you are pretty certain it's the right kit and do it yourself.

However as some ISPs are upgrading customers to 8mb service there are issues
being experienced by Plusnet are also being mirrored industry wide with regard
to stability of the broadband connections it is not therefore an ISP specific
issue, however it has generated large volume of calls to their support.  A
company called Bulldog operating in the south east area had similar problems
when piloting their 8mb server a year or two ago.  This speed leaves little
margin for error and in fact the speed you end up with is not actually
guaranteed to customer.  I prefer a stable 2mb connection to a flaky 8mb one ,
though with Plusnet you can queue jump if you like and take your chances.

Any ISP will do from the point of view of Jaws provided it does not make you
install some custom peice of software to access the service, an infamous
example would be AOL, a less obvious one would be BT/Yahoo, although there are
ways around the latter.

Windows has almost everything you need to connect to a service, apart from the
modem drivers.  If you opt for a router (recommended) you don't even need
those.  The subject of networking, wireless or cable has already been
extensively covered.

Regards.

Tristram Llewellyn
Sight and Sound Technology