[jaws-uk] Freecom Freeview Usb2 Stick - further comments

  • From: "G. McFarlane" <gmcf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Jaws UK" <jaws-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2005 02:15:48 -0000

Hi
Further to my last comments on this I've had a bit more time to use this. Those
wh are considering buying it may find the following useful

The manual comes with a number of keyboard shortcuts, but by phoning the
extremely helpful helpline and experimentation I've discovered that there are
more for some of the things I at first thought were going to be inaccessible.

On the main viewing screen a right click of the mouse or the pressing of the
context menu key at the right of the keyboard brings up a context menu in which
many of the major viewing functions and settings can be found. Also keypresses
are available for most of these functions.

On the control panel of the program (alt and tab to get there)  it at first
seems impossible to get the icons at the foot of this - these icons are for
setting up favourite channels (accessible from the main context menu), an open
file dialog box (press ctrl and 'o') which allows access to the files you have
recorded  so you can view them within the program. Right clicking on selected
file(s) in this dialog box (after tabbing to them) allows a variety of
functions including burning them to disk.

There is also a Setup icon (which can also be accessed fromthe main viewing
window by pressing 'e'.) Here you can scan and alter channel order, setup and
remove preset recordings, etc. You can have what looks like 100 preset
recordings and two buttons allow you to delete one preset at a time or all
The jewel in the crown is the next icon in the control panel - it is the
electronic preset guide (accessible by pressing ctrl and 'e'). Forgive me if I
sound enthusiastic but it's the first electronic program guide which I've found
accessible. if you've found one then I apologise for my ranting.

You can tab through all the options, setting any of the channels, reading the
information about the current program on that channel or on the program you
select from the list which are about to be broadcasted. It takes a second or
two after getting into the EPG (electronic program guide)  for the program to
look up the net and input the information but when it's there it's marvelous.
I thought at first that it only gave listings for the same day, but when I had
some sighted help I discovered that when Jaws announced 'tab' when it hit a
certain field I would then right arrow to the next day, and so on. Once on a
new day it went straight to the listing for that day. To move to the next day
it meant tabbing around again to the 'day tabe' again. Using the Jaws graphics
labeller solved this problem and now it announces the day when it hits that tab
field. I didn't get the labeller to work automatically though - you have to get
sighted help to position the cursor then label each day icon, but once that's
done it works a treat.

When you find a program you want to record you have to position the Jaws cursor
over the time and press the left mouse button jaws key on the keypad twice (the
equivalent of double clicking on it). This brings up the record preset window
and you can check all the times and program name etc. before accepting it.
(There may be another way of choosing the program you wish to record apart from
finding the time with the jaws cursor but as yet I haven't found it) You can
then take away the whole program from the screen and go back to the desktop or
work on another program. When the program you wish to record is about to begin,
the program loads itself up and starts recording right on time.

By the way if you do this make sure your computer clock is accurate to the
second then you'll not miss bits of the program as I did at first.

One or two things need a bit of jaws cursoring at first but all in all it's
pretty accessible software for such a new product.

Hope this helps anyone thinking of purchasing it.

Regards.

Gordonposition it over