[jaws-uk] Re: Explanation of terms if possible.

  • From: "Tristram Llewellyn" <tris-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jaws-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 16:08:31 +0100

All screen readers and magnififers need at some level to intercept information
from the video sub system of Windows, the way they do this can vary by
operating system and also their internal workings.  The latter point is of
particular interest as each developer usually creates there own way of
accessing this sub system.  In Windows 98 for technical reasons this was not a
big problem, but with Windows NT and beyond it is a major issue.
DCM or Display Chaining Manager is a Microsoft specification that most of the
major accessiblity developers signed up to a few years ago.  GW Micro who
produce WindowEyes were commissioned to do part of the coding for this.  The
inner workings are not really a suitable topic for this list, but in essence
what it provides is a why for different access technology products to share a
Windows operating system.  Previously they would assume that each had sole
right to it and would therefore frequently be totally incompatible with
eachother.  DCM basically lays down some rules that they all follow which allow
multiple accessibility products to co-exist on PCs.

As a result of Microsofts help in defining the DCM standard seems anecdontally
in my view to have had the side effect of helping developers build much more
robust and reliable video intecept technologies, and now of course they
co-exist far better although not always perfectly in some isolated cases.

Regards.

Tristram Llewellyn
Sight and Sound Technology
Technical Support