[jaws-uk] Re: Andrew dorothy back

  • From: "Mullins, Chris" <Chris.Mullins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'jaws-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <jaws-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2005 09:21:54 -0000

Dorothy
There are three parts to AVG.  The first is the Virus database which  is
used to store details of the viruses that are around and needs regularly
updating with details of any new viruses.  Its because this database is not
up to date that you keep getting the balloon popping up on your lap top.
You need to get into the habit of updating this database regularly, which
will stop the balloon appearing.

The second part to AVG is the actual scan of your disk drives.  This
includes your main hard drive, floppy disk drive (if you have one) and
CD/DVD drives.  It scans through all the files on these devices, useing the
Virus database previously described, looking for the signatures of viruses
within each scanned file.  If a virus is found, AVG can either heal or
quarantine the file, so it can no longer harm your system.

The third part is the automatic scanning of incoming and outgoing Emails.
As you download Emails from your ISP's mail server, AVG will scan the Email
and any attachments it has, again using the Virus database, to check there
are no viruses on them.  Likewise, it does the same with Emails that you are
sending out.

To update your Virus database, do the following:

1. Ensure you have the internet connected.  This can be to any site, just so
long as the connection works.

2. On the Start Menu, go to 'Programs' or 'All Programs' , then 'AVG'.  You
should see a sub menu  containing 3 items, one of which is 'AVG free edition
for Windows' and you should open this application.

3.  Press F9 and if it asks you where to get the update files from, select
'Internet'.  This may only occur the first time you do this, it may go
directly to step 4.

4.  A message will appear telling you that the latest update files are
available for download, click or press enter on the 'Update' button.  This
will update your Virus database with the latest virus information.  If there
is no new virus information available, you will see a message to this
effect.

5.  Once the 'Update successful', or the 'No files available'  message is
displayed, click or press enter on the OK button.  Note this window has a
coundown on it and will disappear automatically if you don't click the OK
button within 30 seconds or so.

6.  You should now be back at the main AVG window.  You can now either run a
System scan  or close  the application.  To run a full system scan press F4.
This may take awhile, depending on the amount of data on your disk drives.
When complete, AVG will tell you if it has found any viruses and what it has
done with them.  Press alt + F4 to exit AVG.

Of course there is a lot more to AVG than this but what I have described is
the minimum  you should do to help keep your system virus free.  I do this
once a week and have managed to keep on top of any viruses around.

HTH
Chris