[iyonix-support] Re: Sybolic Links (?)

  • From: Gavin Wraith <gavin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2006 23:06:32 GMT

In message <4e932f5aa4Richard.Torrens@xxxxxxx> you wrote:

> Trying to get the Iyo runing everything we currently run on the
> RPCs...  Quite a task!
>
> One thing I miss is the program Links, by Brian Brunswick.
>
> There is a small module in this, called Bits. Brian's site has the
> source code for this.
> http://minas.ithil.org/RISCOS/index.html
> It there any one here who would like to recompile this for me?
>
> There are other sybolic Links programs, but Brian's is by far the
> simplest I have found, and does just what I want, quickly and
> easily!

I have downloaded the sources for the Bits module from the URL you gave.
I see why it was called "Bits". It appears to be a ragbag of utilities
many of which have already been incorporated into RO5 ("Do", "IfExists"
is "Ifthere", "WimpMode", "RMFast" is "RMFaster", "Filer_Boot",
"Filer_Run", etc) or which have been around for a long time ("IfDesk",
"Input", "DirName", etc). Some seem pretty obscure to me, and may not
make much sense on the Iyonix. I would not bother with recompiling the
Bits module. Better to find out which "bits" the "Links" program uses;
you may find that with a change of name they already exist or that
the functionality needed already exists in another form.

By the way, I presume that "sybolic" is a typo for "symbolic" and not a
newfangled brand name?

The fact that you presume that Links would run on the Iyonix if the Bits
module were recompiled leads me to guess that it is written in Basic.
If so I would be happy to look at it to see what it is using from the
Bits module. You could save it as text and append it to an email.

--
Gavin Wraith (gavin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
Home page: http://www.wra1th.plus.com/