[iyonix-support] Re: !STRing and the Iyo

  • From: David Pitt <pittdj@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 3 May 2009 14:02:55 +0100

Dr Peter Young <pnyoung@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I've been in touch with Mark Beerling about his app !STRing (
> www.arcsite.de/hp/mrb/strng.html ), which crashes on this Iyonix (5.14)
> with or without Aemulor Pro. He doesn't have an Iyo himself, but is keen
> for it work on this OS. He's been asking me questions above and beyond my
> technical knowledge, and I've suggested to him that I should post here to
> ask if anyone else would like to try it, and report back to him their
> experiences.

!STRing 2.2.0 did indeed crash here on OS5.14 on first running, with
"Internal error: abort on data transfer at &201F1BA0", Aemulor is run by
default on this Iyonix. The website says the application is 32bit but this
is incorrect, all the executables are all clearly flagged as 26bit, see the
byte at offset &30.

Without Aemulor the !STRing does make it to to the iconbar. Whether it does
what it is supposed to do is another matter at this point.

OS5 does not trouble itself to check that executables are flagged as 32bit
but Aemulor does check for a 26bit flag. The executables are SharedUnixLib
jobs which implies gcc, as I understand it a 26bit compilation will result
if any of the libraries used is (inadvertently) 26bit.

I hope that helps.

--
David Pitt

MessengerPro on iMac