[iyonix-support] Re: Reformatting memory sticks

  • From: John M Ward <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 06 Aug 2008 14:57:49 +0100

In article <3f4c9eca4f.wra1th@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
   Gavin Wraith <gavin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I expect everybody knows this, but in case they do not I thought
> it worth posting. If you have a memory stick that works on the Iyonix,
> and it develops a fault - say a directory refuses to be deleted -
> so that you need to reformat it on a PC (right click on the
> drive icon) then choose FAT32 for the format. Plain FAT did not
> work for me.

Oh!  Usually it's the other way around.  Pen drives normally need to be
formatted as just "FAT" (i.e. FAT 16) and with no drive label if they
are to be recognised by the Iyonix.

A non-deletable directory is commonplace on these devices, or indeed any
other USB-connected drive, I have found.  However it is not usually
necessary to re-format the drive: the PC (Windows) should be able to
delete the offending directory, complete with its (RISC OS-invisible)
contents, without problem.

Beyond all that, one also has to remember the 2 GB size limit with pen
drives in general, which is another pitfall when users try to use these
ever so useful devices on our machines.  This is an issue that really
needs to be tackled one of these fine days, so that there is no longer
any foreseeable limit to drive size/capacity on our systems.

--
John Ward in Medway, Kent - using RISC OS since 1987
Now using an Iyonix, an A9home, 2 RiscPCs and Virtual-RPC!