[iyonix-support] Re: Recording on line-in: silent right channel

  • From: tennant@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Tennant Stuart)
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2008 00:47:26 +0000

On Fri  8 Feb 2008 (20:54:08), rogerarm@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>On 8 Feb 2008, Tennant Stuart wrote:

>44100Hz
>>
>>> I wouldn't do it like that if I were you, unless your old LPs are
>>> really awful in sound quality.
>>
>>> The resulting sound quality you will get by doing this (in
>>> single-channel stereo, or proper stereo) will be appalling. There is
>>> glitch in the ADC chip within the Iyonix that prevents accurate
>>> sampling at 44.1kHz.
>>
>> Why have we been saddled with such a crap sampling chip?
>
>Rhetorical question?

No, I'd really like to know what happened.

>>> It will accurately sample at 48Khz, but then you will need to
>>> down-sample the result to 44.1kHz, which if you do it quick and
>nasty,
>>> will still result in nasty artifacts. If you do it with a more
>>> accurate down-sampler, it will take ages -  far far slower than real
>>> time.
>>
>> How many times slower is "far far"? Twice? Ten times? Hundred?
>Million?
>
>Try it and see if you must. I have already advised against.
>
>I'd say of order 10 times slower. Note : order.

x10 isn't too bad if you can leave the computer to get on with the job.

>>> But even if you do all the above the best possible way on the
>Iyonix,
>>> the result will still be disappointing; the noise level will be
>fairly
>>
>> What about one of the very clever people on this esteemed mailing
>list
>> writing an "upsampler" like a good video upscaler? This would double
>> the apparent sampling rate to 96kHz, while taking out interference.
>
>This would not do much for non-linearity within the ADC, nor for many
>of the other artifacts present in cheap ADC 'chips'.

I guess any non-linearity could be compensated for quite easily.

>>> high, and there may well be other nasty and unexpected sound
>artifacts
>>> caused both by using a poor ADC in close proximity to an
>(electrically
>>> noisy) computer.
>>
>> Is it possible to screen the chip? Move it? Upgrade to a better one?
>
>It is not a separate chip: the ADC is integrated into a big chip with
>a multiplicity of other functions within the Iyonix. There is no
>separate dedicated ADC chip within the Iyonix.

Ooooh, big bit of information there! I didn't know that.

>>>I use a recording HiFi CD player to transfer my records.
>>
>> Not very useful for old LPs.
>
>On the contrary, it is VERY useful.

>If you are transfering LPs, you already have an LP player. Plug the LP
>player into your pre-amp, and the output from that into the HiFi CD
>recorder. Place in a CD-R disc in the HiFi CD-R recorder, press
>'record' and away ye go.  Very useful, why otherwise would I have
>suggested it?

Whoops, I thought "transfer my records" meant "CD to Iyonix". :)

Tennant
--