[iyonix-support] Linux update

  • From: Nigel Willmott <nwillmott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 13:20:08 GMT

An update further to my earlier post (Iyonix Linux - Dec 6) ...

Still no luck getting sound - does any body have it?

Still can't read the Risc Os partition ...

Some progress with USB (compact flash card and Nokia phone) -
recognised by USB Viewer and details noted ... but it demands the type
of file sytem when I try to mount either (have used auto in fstab)

But success with networking to my PCs ... So if anybody is interested:

Installing Samba seems to be enough for Iyo Linux to access the PC.
Just type    smb://hostname/sharename into the file manager (where
hostname is the name of the Iyo, and sharename, the PC share (so in my
case it work with    smb://armdebian/1.0.0.26/C$ - primitive but it
works)

Accessing the Iyo Linux from a PC is harder - you have to configure
samba.conf. I did it by installing (using package manager) Webmin,
Webmin-core and Webmin-samba.

Webmin is accessed through the web browser (Mozilla) by typing into
the URL bar

https://hostname/10000/  (in my case https:/armbebian/10000/

In Webmin go to Servers > Samba Windows File Sharing > Windows
Networking

Add in to dialogue box the server name and alias (in my case 1.0.0.31,
armdebian)

Change the default service to homes (may not be essential)

Then go to File Share Defaults > Security & Access Control

Change Guest access to Yes (may not be essential)

Add in valid users - ie name of a Linux User on the system (in my case
nige)

and change to Use encrypted passwords (necessary for PCs using W2K and
above)

Click on   Convert Unix users to Samba users  >  Convert

(If you then click on Edit Samba users, it should now show the current
Samba users)

To access the Iyo Linux home page from the PC, click on Network
Neignourhood (if the Iyo not shown, do a search on name/IP address)

Click on the icon, a dialogue box comes up asking for user and
password

Type in Workgroup\user name  (in my case Workgroup\nige)

and the user password  (in my case nige)

... and Robert's your close relation (in theory)

Hope this helps somebody, somewhere