[iyonix-support] Re: Hard Drives.

  • From: Thomas Milius <Thomas-Milius@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2007 15:26:07 +0200

In message <Marcel-1.53-1016114124-345pErr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Chris Evans <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue 16 Oct, Barry E Allen wrote:
> >
> > Hi Folks,
> >
> > I'm looking to buy a new hard drive for my Iyonix. Are there any makes
> > that I should avoid as being incompatible?
>
> Recent Seagates and Maxtors have problems on RiscPCs, recently Castle and
> ourselves found problems with some Seagates in Iyonix PCs!

Unfortunately I can acknowledge problems with Seagate. I bought a 80GB
Barracuda last year as a second backup disc and for LINUX for my Iyonix. I
used it only rarely and it become more and more broken (not the disc itself
but the electronic). Meanwhile it worked only properly if it is cold. Even
the quality of the metal case of the seagate disc is very poor. Two times
screws removed and refitted and the screw thread in the metal case of the
disc was unuseable.

Today I bought a 200 GB Samsung. It seems to work fine. Of course acceptable
speed is only available until 120 GB under the Iyonix. But the other
alternative here at the city where I am living in would have been the same
Seagate model which just gots broken. So it is better for me to waste 80GB.

My local dealer acknowledged problems with Seagate and told me that he
discontinued selling seagate hard discs.

SATA discs are not supported on the Iyonix!

Regards

Thomas Milius