[iyonix-support] Re: An expensive mistake? Was: USB external drive under Fat32FS

  • From: Chris F <c.n.l.f@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 06 May 2010 17:19:18 +0100

In message <f8beac1251.pnyoung@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Dr Peter Young <pnyoung@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
snip
> >> I've bought a Seagate 500GB USB drive, only to find that it's NTFS
> >> formatted :-(  Not only that, but if I try to re-format it, it only
> >> gives me the NTFS option. Is there a way I can format it to Fat32?
>

> > The FAT32 formatter at http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/ worked for me

snip

> The one recommended did the business, though, and
> Windows now recognises it as Fat32, and I can copy to and from it.
>
> And, once I had realised that Fat32FS provides a hard-disc icon rather
> than the floppy one I'm used to with memory sticks, it's working
> excellently.

I dropped into PCWorld to have a look at their portable drives and am
guessing that the Seagate 500 might have been on offer.
I asked the chap if it was Fat32 and he said 'No'. I said I wanted
Fat32 and he explained that that was an older format. He agreed that
the format wasn't usually written on the box. He asked what I wanted to
use an old format one on and was no wiser when I replied. However he
did agree that I could re-format a Seagate but would only be able to
access 32 of its megs; which is what Fat32 alludes to.

I'm guessing that in this last, he's not correct?

--
BW Chris F. [ British Iyonix, RISC OS 5.13 & A9 ]
RISC OS: driven by enthusiasts.