[iyonix-support] Re: 4 IDE drives: Success

  • From: Ron <iyonix@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 08 Apr 2007 15:44:08 +1200

In message <82c601d04e.D_Lane@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          David R Lane <D_Lane@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> All 4 drives now work after power on, with the following arrangement.
>
>         IDE bus 0 (primary)                IDE bus 1 (secondary)
>      Master            Slave            Master            Slave
>
>    Main Hard Drive     DVDRW           Second HD          CDRW
>
> For the record:
>
> The main HD and the CDRW are the original ones fitted by Castle
> (first batch of Iyonix PCs in 2002), the second HD is a Maxtor
> Diamond Plus 9 80GB ATA/133 and the DVDRW is a LITEON SOHW-1693S23C.
>
> Perhaps this will be of help to others contemplating having these
> drives.
>
> Also, it is easier to fit the cables round each other if at least
> one of them is a round cable (as opposed to a flat ribbon cable).
>
> Cheers, Dave Lane

Thanks Dave, good to hear about your setup working. I bet you dont feel
like moving stuff around any more, but now that you have access to the
second HD there is a possibility that you could transfer the data from
your original drive to it and try it as the boot drive on IDE bus 0 and
the original drive as slave.
Maybe the HD's would work together that way.
It's a gamble, and you would need to have a preferance for having the
HD's on one cable.
I dont know what HD Castle was fitting to Iyonix at that time, but the
CDRW would be the only Sony that works with CDBurnLite, of course.

Your Maxtor gets a favourable review, having a single platter of 80GB,
fast operation even without the large 8MB cache now commonly used, and
quiet operation when at idle. John Balance mentioned that Castle are
fitting Maxtors to new Iyonix at the moment too.
Cheers -Ron