[isapros] Re: Something new on ISATools.org

  • From: "Thomas W Shinder" <tshinder@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <isapros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 May 2008 17:14:15 -0500

Hi Jim,

Will blog!

Thanks!
Tom

-----Original Message-----
From: isapros-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:isapros-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Jim Harrison
Sent: Saturday, May 17, 2008 5:09 PM
To: 'isapros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'
Subject: [isapros] Something new on ISATools.org

http://isatools.org/tools/msde_bcp.zip

It's a script to provide a MSDE or local-SQL ISA log export.
I originally wrote it for MSIT, but other folks asked for a "less
specific" version, so here it is.
It will export your log data to the destination folder of your choice
(local or remote).

How is this different from other similar tools?
1. it uses SQL bulk copy (BCP), which is self-throtting (read: won't
choke your ISA)
2. avoid the whole detach, copy, reattach (or delete) mess
3. logs all activity to %windir%\temp\msde_bcp.wsf.log
4. avoids the current or future logs to prevent contention (and thus
lockdown)
5. works in a standalone or array environment
6. provides self-debugging capability (only available via Jscript;
VBscript isn't nearly as self-aware).

The readme gives you examples and requirements.

Feel free to send me bugz, complaints, death threats, large sums in
small, unmarked bills, etc.

Jim