[isapros] Re: [ISAServer] Firewall database corruption due to power outtage

  • From: "Jim Harrison" <Jim@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <isapros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 13:56:10 -0700

I think someone needs a hug...

   Jim Harrison
   MCP(NT4, W2K), A+, Network+, PCG
   http://isaserver.org/Jim_Harrison/
   http://isatools.org
   Read the help / books / articles!

From: isapros-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:isapros-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Thor (Hammer of God)
Sent: Monday, July 10, 2006 11:50
To: isapros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [isapros] Re: [ISAServer] Firewall database corruption due to power
outtage

Actually, it doesn't steam me in the least.  While I can perceive the value
of the lockdown feature, it adds no value to my environment-- I have no
problem at all disabling it.  In fact, it's been disabled since I began
logging to SQL on my servers (long time now). No worries here.

The whole thing got started when I was simply trying to identify to the ISA
group that when logging to SQL, ISA's lockdown mode is "trigger happy" when
certain maintenance takes place on the server- that "maintenance" can be the
purging of "fluff" in the WebProxyLog, performing a mass update of data in
the logs, or even regular DB Maint jobs that re-index, optimize, shrink
db's, etc.  It's not about trimming logs, purging logs, or anything to
"solve" ISA logging issues- it can be something that doesn't even involve
ISA logs per se.

It was the identification that, in the real-world, "ISA Logging to SQL ==
Disabled Lockdown Mode" is the inevitable result in all the cases I
examined.  I didn't even say that was a bad thing- I'm quantifying it, not
qualifying it. Like I said, I don't really care about lockdown mode.  I was
just pointing out that if lockdown mode was going to be considered an
important feature to enterprise customers, (which I have seen it be) then
the end user is going to require better, customizable options regarding the
parameters used when ISA logs to SQL, or else they will be forced to disable
it.  You can't tout a feature as important if it will ultimately require
disabling when deployed.  That's all.

The only time I got close to being "steamed" was when recommendations kept
coming back regarding how to fix the "fluff" issues.  I've already fixed the
fluff issues.  I said that several times.  I was asking for detailed
information on the criteria ISA uses to initiate lockdown when logging to
SQL, not how to address log cruft, structure tables, or when to run
maintenance jobs.  My goal was to gain information on how to build a robust,
dependable connection that would endure "standard," every-day loads, not on
how to avoid using the connection in those environments.

That's it.  Done over here ;)

On 7/10/06 10:32 AM, "Thomas W Shinder" <tshinder@xxxxxxxxxxx> spoketh to
all: