Re: [sbs list] FW: Last Word On The BlackAttacker.vbs Question

  • From: "Jim Harrison" <jim@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <sbs2k@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2004 17:19:56 -0700

Hi Tony (et al),

I'm including the isalist because the "BlockAttacker" discussion is also
occuring there in a slightly different form.

I was going to address your response point by point until I finished reading it
(yes, I'm willing to give anyone benefit of doubt
for a reasonable time).  I'm up for a good technical discussion as much as the
next guy, but this is painfully absurd.
My understanding is that as a rule, you have much to offer the SBS community.
If so, this discussion saddens me because this is
clearly not one of your shining moments.

You haven't produced a proof-of-concept for the "exploits" because clearly, you
can't.  You have been challenged time after time to
do exactly that and time after time, you merely regurgitate your own
statements.  You clearly lack the knowledge or skills to fully
understand, much less reproduce your theories in the physical world.  This fact
is blazingly clear to anyone with a modicum of
networking knowledge.

Unfortunately, you also choose to use the SBS forum to voice your uninformed
theories, causing undue concern for those who consider
you a source of good information.  This behavior is nothing short of extreme
social and professional irrisponsibility (grc.com) and
I publicly challenge you once and for all to either produce proof of concept or
drop it entirely.

Since you claim that the "SMTP vulnerability" only exists when the SBS machine
is configured to server-publish the SMTP service
instead of using packet filtering (as is the default configuration), why do you
advise folks to do configure the server this way?
If I were a mean-spirited person, my inclination would be to publicly accuse
you of trying to generate "hero" business for your
consulting business.  It's a good thing I'm not mean, huh?

On a consistency point, I find this statement most interesting of all (your
point 5):
"Have you ever wondered why you see all those 127.0.0.1 dropped packets by ISA?
It's likely a very large number of those are this
SMTP loopback address attack being sprayed across the Internet.".

Here, you readily admit that ISA drops packets sourced from 127/8 and yet you
also spend the majority of your dissertation claiming
that SBS server admins who choose to follow your advise and server-publish SMTP
are vulnerable to this same "attack".  You can't
have it both ways; since ISA drops the traffic regardless of publishing
technique, there is no threat.

Also, you offer nothing more than a source IP address to validate your theory.
How about the details of the packet?  ISA can log a
LOT of data regarding dropped packets.  When have you ever examined the logs to
determine what sort of "attack" is being visited
upon the server that rejects them out-of-hand?

Another point I would ask you to respond to:
Why are you not advising folks who see 127/8 or RFC-1918 addresses on their
external interface to talk to their ISP?  I repeat; it's
a good thing I'm not a mean person.
Any beginning router admin knows how to create a basic set of ACLs that
disallow traffic sourced from 127/8 and RFC-1918 addresses
(10/8, 169/16, 172/12, 192/16) and outbound traffic that is sourced from
addresses not in the known "internal" subnets, including
127/8.

Basically, I challenge you to "Make up your mind."

Yours,

  Jim Harrison
  MCP(NT4, W2K), A+, Network+, PCG
  http://isaserver.org/Jim_Harrison/
  http://isatools.org
  Read the help / books / articles!

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 21:31:08 -0700
 "Tony Su" <TonySu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Jim,

Thanks for your comments.

This is long, so

1. 2 paragraphs acknowledge your message's points.
2. General description of loopback vulnerability and how it has been
observed for many years by people associated with SBS
3. Offer to show the vulnerability to you on my server
4. Technical points about the SMTP open relay exploit in the wild that
exploits this vulnerability
5. A far worse closely related likely vulnerability than what is easily
proved
6. Instructions for setting up your own test

1.
Agreed about the hacking psyche. So, that is why I myself will never
install Blockattacker in a situation where a machine goes down. But,
consider this. To the typical hacker, he won't know what happened unless
he had prior knowledge he was attacking an ISA. As long as the attacker
doesn't know he's attacking an ISA or the use of BlockAttacker on ISA
becomes common enough for someone to invest in the effort to write the
exploit (admittedly wouldn't take more than a few seconds or minutes to
modify code he already may have), it's still "under the radar" and using
Blockattacker to automatically create blocks can be a big timesaver.
Granted, the act of creating blocks is woefully inefficient but think of
the time saved to generate the 30 or so blocks created automatically on
my machine compared to picking through logfiles, analyzing and then
creating them one at a time. Still, as you say any use of Blockattacker
<must> recognize the potential downside and I wouldn't have it running
in any critical situation. This is why I suggested that someone should
take a good, hard look at how Blockattacker can be implemented properly
because there <are> tremendous time and cost savings associated with its
use which can make it very attractive despite the risks.

I don't know what happened that I referenced the LAT, that's incorrect
as you say and I know better.

2.
As for the Localhost issue. For the longest time I was referencing an
anti-spam tool which was taken down awhile back when the company went
out of business. Since I messaged you on this before, DNSREPORT.COM has
re-deployed a test that proves this hack.

Tom was also very surprised on our List and this latest discussion
thread was because as you state, there has been no known vulnerability
the ISA community has recognized.

Before responding to Tom, I ran the DNSREPORT.COM open relay test and it
<did> indicate an open relay when 127.0.0.1 was permitted to relay by
the Exchange SMTP Virtual server. Removing the address, the relay test
reported the vulnerability closed.

This is an easily reproducible vulnerability on any version of SBS
running ISA. By all appearances it should probably not be restricted to
SBS and should be a vulnerability anytime ISA and Exchange are deployed
on the same box.

Also, SBS users have been verifying that my analysis is exactly
correct... Anytime they've Server Published Exchange (following general
ISA instructions) but with the default IP addresses permitted to relay
(includes 127.0.0.1), the machine was turned into an open relay every
time, mail queues filled within 2-3hrs and on spam blacklists within a
day. Tom opined that Server Publishing Exchange would be considered
"Operator Error" and not "Software Error" but IMO as long as the
instructions for Server Publishing Exchange exist and it's considered
"General Proper Procedure" I find it difficult to say "But you should
have known better than to follow general procedures, on an SBS box you
should always use the configuration created by the SBS Dev team and
never vary." Where do you draw the line on something like this? If
that's the general rule that should always be followed that's saying
that nothing else should be modified either?

I also speculate this was observed very early on during initial
development of SBS2K (1999?), but no one understood what was happening
which is the reason why SBS2K was <entirely> packet filtering and <no>
Publishing at all. This psychological approach to building SBS probably
continues to today based on those early not well understood experiences
which is what I've been trying to break, pointing out the virtues of any
kind of Publishing over Packet Filtering whenever possible.

3.
Anyway,
As I offered to Tom, if you want I am willing to have you shadow a TS
session into my SBS to prove the loopback address vulnerability exists,
but as I said this is very simple to re-produce on <any> SBS box.

4.
Also, from a technical point of view I posted a follow-up probably few
people understood but you might find interesting is what has to happen
for the SMTP open relay exploit to succeed against this vulnerability...
Namely...

- Win2K/Win2K3 ISN (Initial Sequence Numbering) is busted. It's also the
basis for what ISA calls Circuit Layer Packet Filtering (of course, not
the same as ordinary Packet Filters). Is a similar issue that happened
to Cisco high bandwidth routers discovered late last year but revealed
publicly only a few months ago. Microsoft just has done a better job
hiding the fact its algorthm is thoroughly hacked and exploitable. This
doesn't mean that ISA is bad, but until MS upgrades its ISN algorithm,
<no> security solution should rely on Circuit Layer Packet Filtering
alone and naked Windows boxes are... Well, exactly that, naked.

- Microsoft implemented a fix to drop packets arriving on an external
interface at a very low layer, my guess is the HAL... Then probably
created upper layer fixes for recognized applications like regular IIS.
This approach is obviously faulty because maybe an unexpected
application like Exchange SMTP isn't similar enough to "IIS only" SMTP,
and the fix doesn't work. One of two things are happening, either ISA is
not plugging into the right component or the fix is too application
specific and isn't covering packets arriving via Exchange SMTP.

- There isn't likely any better security on a Windows box today than
Windows Security itself. If Windows Security is part of the layered
security approach, then no matter whether other methods work as
expected, Windows Security enables the SysAdmin to focus only on
maintaining a good, strong password policy. And, that has been the case
for example when I Server Publish SMTP on SBServer. If anonymous is not
permitted, the hacker must crack a Windows account.

- The SMTP exploit has been around for at least three years, probably a
lot longer. This means that the combination of parameters which create
the conditions for the exploit (ISN, loopback address vulnerability)
have existed for at least that long although maybe not specifically when
using ISA. This is not an attack targeted at some other platform, the
only way the exploit can work is on a Win2K or later platform (maybe
later versions of NT4). If you're personally not aware of this issue, I
can't see how this issue can't be noticed by the highest people in
charge of security at Microsoft. It's just not the kind of thing anyone
likely wants publicized, especially if it might be possible to hide
through patching, ie. Alternative solutions instead of fixing the real
problem.

5.
- I haven't created the exploit and I don't publicize (only discussed in
private conversations), but if all this is true, then <every> SBS2K3
today on the Internet likely has a serious SMTP Open Relay vulnerability
which is just waiting to happen, and this is I repeat, <every> SBS2K3
which has ever been sold and deployed with or without ISA... Besides the
127.0.0.1 address which is exploitable <only> by ISA Server Publishing,
the machine's WAN address is also listed. This means that the widely
seen exploit which targets 127.0.0.1 only has to be modified to target
the machine's WAN address instead and... Yes... It'll probably work, and
be an open relay.

- Have you ever wondered why you see all those 127.0.0.1 dropped packets
by ISA? It's likely a very large number of those are this SMTP loopback
address attack being sprayed across the Internet.

Thanks for your time, Jim... Your work everywhere is the best and
although hard to read for my students I point them to your series of ISA
client articles on isaserver.org as <the> reference on ISA clients.

Tony

6.
Summary for test:
Easy way:
1. Setup an SBS2K box which already has ISA integrated on an address
with a Registered Public Domain MX record.
2. Server Publish Exchange.
3. Configure the Exchange SMTP Virtual Server to include 127.0.0.1 as an
address permitted to relay.
4. Run DNSREPORT.COM against your domain, you will see yourself reported
as an open relay.
5. Delete the 127.0.0.1 entry
6. Rerun DNSREPORT.COM against your domain, and you will see yourself
reported as a closed relay.

Repeat steps 3-6 as often as you wish to prove that is the <only>
changing parameter.
If you want, leave yourself configured as an open relay and see how long
it takes for the SMTP Open Relay attack to find you.

Harder way:
1. Setup an SBS2K3 Standard box.
2. Install ISA2K using the Premium Disk.
Repeat steps 2-6 above, but step 3 will already be part of the default
configuration.