[isalist] Re: off topic - control user storage

  • From: "Joe Pochedley" <joepochedley@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 08:17:19 -0400

While the wood, aluminum, and concrete baseball bats alluded to the true
solution, I'll clarify in case there's any misunderstanding...

What you need first is a policy, approved and enforced by management,
that disallows non-work related files on the server...  Without this to
act as your set of teeth, windows scripts only give you data that you
can't really do much with (unless you go vigilante)...  Once you have a
policy in place, then you can take whatever steps are appropriate (as
outlined in the policy) to clean up the files, alert management, or wonk
the offending users over the head.

As a side note:  If you suspect you've got large swaths of server space
wasted with MP3's, videos, etc...  I've had fun with a utility called
Sequoia View (google it).  It creates a graphical representation of the
files / folders on a HD.  Files are displayed graphically as blocks; the
bigger the block, the bigger the file.  You can color code the display
by file extensions, which makes it real easy to spot a large cache of
MP3s, AVIs, etc tucked away in a folder.  It provides a nice visual
representation you can take to management so they can get an idea of how
"big" the problem is.

Joe Pochedley
Software suppliers are trying to make their software packages more
user-friendly... Their best approach, so far, has been to take all the
old brochures, and stamp the words, 'user-friendly' on the cover."   -
Bill Gates.