RE: browser does not connect/security lock out
- From: "Tony Birch" <tbirch@xxxxxxx>
- To: isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
- Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2002 08:33:19 -0700
Eddie, I did get a reply from Steve Moffat. Thanks, Steve. I reformatted the drive and re-installed server and then ISA, but this time: 1. Did NOT make it a Domain Controller. Kept it in a workgroup. 2. Did NOT use my ADSL connection. I used a modem connection instead. There are several issues that need clarification on Tom's GETTING STARTED document: 1. You need to ADD a POLICY ELEMENT: the dial up account needs to be added to this node. Otherwise the options for USE DIAL-UP CONNECTION are greyed out (you need to choose these as mentioned in the last part of Tom's directions). 2. You need to enable routing on the server. Otherwise, the client cannot resolve names. The Firewall component failed in my installation, but otherwise, it worked.