Windows Update and 3rd party web filters

  • From: "John Tolmachoff \(Lists\)" <johnlist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ISAserver.org Discussion List]'" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 00:54:16 -0700

After much work, digging, testing frustrations, hair loss, sleep-ness
nights, sleeping in the dog house, (no wait, some of those had to be caused
by something else,) I am happy to announce that Windows update is now
working through ISA Server 2000 on Windows 2003 Server with Burstek
WebFilter.

Sort of.

After help from the Honorable Jim and e-mails back and forth with Burstek
over the last 6 months, it is now working, but not in the way expected.

Microsoft has apparently without much fanfare released V6 of Windows Update
to the public for use on Windows 2000, Windows XP and Windows 2003. I found
this quite by accident on Wednesday while at a client setting up a new Dell
XP Pro computer. When I ran updates via the Windows Updates line on the
Start Menu, I was taken to a different looking site and different URL. I
double and triple checked it to make sure it was not some sort of spy ware.

So today while at my client that is using ISA server 2000 and Burstek
WebFilter I tried it out on a couple of their workstations. When I hit the
link to Windows Update on the Start Menu, I was taken to the V5 site. I then
typed in update.microsoft.com and was taken to the V6 site. As soon as I
went to the new site once, from that point on using the Windows Update link
on the Start Menu takes you directly there. You have to install both MSI 3.1
and the new Windows Update software. MSI 3.1 requires a reboot and must be
installed before proceeding on the new site.

So, I restart, install the new update software, and chose custom install to
scan for updates.

(Drum roll please)

It worked.

I did not have time to review all the logs to see exactly what they changed,
but I am going to assume that they are now using the credentials of the
logged on user for authentication through ISA.

John T
eServices For You