What is the Best Practice for Installing ISA Server 2004?

  • From: "Tony.Afriyie" <Tony.Afriyie@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 15:54:15 -0400

This question goes to everyone on this list and especailly to Dr. Thomas W.
Shinder.

I am about to install ISA Server 2004 on a Windows Server 2003. As a best
practice (according to Microsoft) one has to install all service packs and
security updates on the Windows Server 2003 before installing ISA Server 2004.

I was reading Dr. Thomas Shinder's article dated August 16th, 2005 and entitled
" Using the Windows Server 2003 Security Configuration Wizard to Harden the ISA
Firewall" and he made a "Note" in this article saying "Make sure that ISA
Server 2004 Service Pack 1 is installed on the ISA firewall before installing
Windows Server 2003 SP1".

I am a little bit confused as to how to go about the installation of ISA Server
2004. If I go ahead and follow Microsoft best practice, that means that after
the installation of Windows Server 2003 on a new server, I have to install SP1
and any updates that came after SP1 for Windows Server 2003 before I go ahead
and install ISA Server 2004 and the SP1 for ISA Server 2004. If I go ahead and
follow what Dr. Shinder is saying in his article, that means after the
installation of Windows Server 2003 on a new computer, I have to go ahead and
install ISA Server 2004 and its SP1 before I install SP1 for Windows Server
2004.  I need help here as to which way to go first. Thank you all.

Tony