Re: Webmail attachment problems

  • From: Jim Harrison <jim@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 05:55:00 -0700

Here's an interesting point:
   "addr:<INTERNAL IP OF ISA SERVER>)"
Since this is being web-published, and the internal server is passing the
internal IP to the client (bad, BAD webmail app!), it seems to me that you have
two options:
1. find the option in VPOP3 to change the links it passes to the client to
"webmail.<FQDN>
2. get FP1 and use the LinkTranslator to change internal links to
"webmail.<FQDN>

  Jim Harrison
  MCP(NT4, W2K), A+, Network+, PCG
  http://isaserver.org/Jim_Harrison/
  http://isatools.org
  Read the help / books / articles!

http://www.ISAserver.org

Greetings,

It usually takes me a while to encounter a good problem... but I found
one.

I have a product called VPOP3 (a nice little all-in-one mail server)
installed on an internal server.

I am using server publishing to host SMTP, POP3 and LDAP (mail server
global address book) All works well.

The problems occur with webmail publishing.
A destination set configured for webmail.<FQDN>  A web publishing rule is setup
to use the destination set to redirect the inbound request to the internal
mail server (running its own HTTP services)  It is set to use SSL
(required) with SSL being terminated at the proxy.

All of this works great.  Webmail is over SSL.... everyone is happy...
until they try to download an attachment via webmail.  When connecting
directly to the mail server via webmail on the internal network... all is
fine with attachments. (ie: no magic between client and server) However
clients utilizing webmail from the internet get the following error when
trying to download attachments:
"Internet Explorer cannot download ...<message id>.dat&msgsection=2&dir= from
<FQDN>.
Innternet Explorer was not able to open this Internet Site. The requested
site is either unavailable or cannot be found. Please try again later."

It appears that the process to download the attachment is broken
mid-stream.  Per the vendor, the all web traffic, including attachments
are passed over the same port.  Webmail server logging indicates the
following

12/6/2003 20:48:34.337 - [MAILHTTP - 32] - Socket Error during
Socket::GetByte - 10054 [An existing connection was forcibly closed by the
remote host. ] (addr:<INTERNAL IP OF ISA SERVER>)

It appears as if ISA is the cause of the winsock termination.

The vendor's response to my questions was:
"Hmm, the redirection may be killing the way VPOP3 handles attachments (it
has to generate them on the fly and does some tricky things to the URLs to
try to make the web browser download them with the right name)"

Any ideas?   I thought it might be some wild URL mojo but do not have
URLScan installed.  The server is a SNAT client so their shoudn't be any
proxy client issues...  :-)

Jeff Butte
Linked Solutions, Inc