VPN Client connectivity

  • From: RichardWalker@xxxxxxxx
  • To: isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 14:34:38 -0700

On occassion, a Windows 98 client that is attempting to connect via VPN
will be unable to do so. The reason Event Viewer gives is "The user
(domain name)\(domain name)\(user name) attempted to connect from (ip
address) but failed to connect due to an authentication attempt due to the
following reason: There was an authentication failure due to an unknown
user name or bad password."

The domain name appears twice (identical) and we cannot find where it is
pulling the addition (domain name) during the login. We do not have the
Domain name listed on any settings in Network properties, the VPN dial up
connection,  etc. I also ensured that there were no references to the
Domain name in the registry. Any ideas?