Upstream router and DMZ configuration...confused~~!!

  • From: MarvinC <marvinc@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ISA Admin <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 00:50:41 -0400

I've asked this question before but it was under different
circumstances so I need to try again for further clarification.
This may seem like a "dumb question" but it's one I have to ask so
please accept my apologizes in advance if anyone's bothered by it.
I have the Configuring ISA 2004 book and I'm reading an article in
Chapter 7 entitled "Creating and configuring a public address
tri-homed DMZ Network". I have on my ISA2K box three (3) network
adapters with the following settings in the following order:

Internal:
IP: 10.0.0.x
Subnet: 255.0.0.x
GW:
DNS: IP of internal DNS server.

DMZ:
IP: 172.16.0.x
Subnet: 255.0.0.x
GW: 172.16.0.1
DNS: 172.16.0.1

External: ISP Static IP
IP: 70.148.240.122
Subnet: 255.255.255.248
GW: 70.148.122.121

There is mention in the book on creating static routes to the upstream
router to ensure communication between the networks. I'm not sure what
the upstream router is and need clarification. Is this a seperate unit
functioning as a router or is this the ISA server? Where do I enter
this command and is this the correct syntax for the command:

router add 172.16.0.0 add 172.16.0.0 0 mask 255.255.0.0 192.168.1.20

Would anyone have any links or articles that cover static routes as
they relate to ISA2K4? I'm also trying to determine if the external
interface consititutes as a public address?
ANY responses are greatly appreciated. ANY!!!