RE: The Mysterious open port 500??

  • From: "Joseph" <cismic@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ISAserver.org Discussion List]'" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2002 13:03:48 -0800

500     tcp     isakmp
500     udp     isakmp
RFC2408
http://www.cis.ohio-state.edu/cgi-bin/rfc/rfc2408.html
RFC2407
http://www.cis.ohio-state.edu/cgi-bin/rfc/rfc2407.html

Some excellent information from MIT
http://web.mit.edu/network/isakmp/

Joseph

-----Original Message-----
From: Nick [mailto:nick.lovett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, March 05, 2002 2:54 AM
To: [ISAserver.org Discussion List]
Subject: [isalist] The Mysterious open port 500??

http://www.ISAserver.org

Hi all,

Culd someone help me out please.

I have an ISA server machine, connected to a broadband cable modem with
one Nic and my internal 192.168.x.x network with the other.

I think I have pretty much nailed down the security on the External
(cable) interface. All services are unbound from that card, packet
filtering is enabled Etc Etc.

Now, if I do a "Netstat -na" from the command prompt of the server, I
see
that all open tcp/ip connections (other than the http) are bound to the
internal nic (great). Except there is always a UDP session on my
external
Interface using port 500! Thus :     UDP    211.28.x.x:500       *:*

Does anyone know what Port 500 is used for?  I Cant find any information
about port 500. Could it be a trojan horse?

Thanks!

Nick