Site to Site VPN Connection Using L2TP/IPSec by Pre-shared Key

  • From: "Roy Tsao" <roy_tsao@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2005 00:18:41 +0800

Dear Tom,

There are two articles presented by you at Microsoft website:

  "Creating A Site-to-Site L2TP/IPSec VPN Between ISA2004 VPN Gateays: Hotw to
Configure the Pre-shared Key"

  "ISA Server 2004 VPN Deployment Kit"

I am quite confused in the these two:
1) In the first one, you mentiond
   "If you have a cerficate installed on this computer and you enable the
pre-shared key option, then the pre-shared key
   will always be used"
   but the later one said Pre-shared key is just a backup when certificate
failed
   which is correct?
2) Also in the first one,
   "if you do not have a cerficate installed, and you decide to use a
pre-shared key as backup,
    the site-to-site VPN connection will fail. Do not seclect the Allow
pre-shared key IPSec authentication as
    a secondary (backup) authentication method option, even if you do not have
a certificate installed on this
    computer"
   But there is a illustration in the 2nd article showing check option of
pre-shared key option as a secondary
   authentication method.
   What is the correct way to have L2TP/IPSec VPN by pre-shared key without
certificate
3) My problem in creating site to site VPN connection
   Could succeeded in creating site to site by PPTP, but whenever I switch into
L2TP/IPSec with pre-shared
   key, the connection always fails. The log shows "No response from remote
computer against L2TP dial-in
   authentication", what's wrong?

Thanks,

Roy Tsao