Site and Content Rules

  • From: Jeff_Bevans@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 09:29:30 -0800

I have been playing with Site and Content rules and would like some
clarification on some issues.  First off, my original setup just had the
default allow rule and I would manage access to the internet based on
Protocol Rules.  I also am publishing an Exchange 2000 server (working)
and have other protocol rules for things like NTP, FTP, DNS, etc.  Now I
have been asked to provide access to one website for everyone, but still
limit access to the rest of the internet based on group membership.

My first thought was hey no problem, I will modify the protocol rule for
http so that the domain users group has access, modify the default allow
rule in Site and Content so that the InternetUsers group is the only
group that is allowed unrestricted access and create a new Site and
Content rule specifically for the website that everyone is allowed to.

When I finished all this, my exchange server was no longer able to send
any mail externally.  I discovered that this was because the default
allow rule in Site and Content was now set to be applied only to the
InternetUsers group.  Since the exchange server publishing rules are
based on client address sets, the exchange server was no longer
authorized to connect out.

So my question is, if I step away from having just the default allow
rule in Site and Content, do I then have to configure Site and Content
rules for each protocol rule that is based on different Applies to
rules?

Thanks

Jeff Bevans
Microsoft Systems Administrator