RE: SMTP Filter/attachment blocking etc

  • From: "Thomas W Shinder" <tshinder@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 07:06:52 -0600

Hi Derek,

You must be reading a different Exchange Kit :)

12.   Configuring the Windows Server 2003-based ISA Server 2000 Firewall
as a Filtering SMTP Relay  [DOC] [ZIP]
Spam is something we all have to worry about. ISA Server addresses the
spam problem with its SMTP Message Screener. The SMTP Message Screener
can filter SMTP mail using source address, source domain, keywords and
attachment filtering. The SMTP Message Screener can be installed on the
ISA firewall, an independent SMTP relay on the internal network, or on
the Exchange Server itself. If you don't have the resources to put the
SMTP filter on a dedicated SMTP relay on the internal network, then put
it on the ISA firewall. This article gives you all the details on how to
make it happen.

13.   Configuring a Windows Server 2003-based ISA Server as a Secure
Authenticating SMTP Relay [DOC] [ZIP]
Remote users often connect to hotel networks that don't provide them
with an SMTP server to send outbound mail. If your remote users use POP3
or IMAP4 to connect to the Exchange Server, then they need access to an
SMTP server. You can create a secure, authenticating SMTP server on the
ISA Server firewall itself that you users can connect to and send mail
to anyone in the world. The ISA firewall can also act as an SMTP relay
that accepts inbound SMTP messages for your domains and reject mail from
spammers attempting to use it as an anonymous relay. This article
provides all the details required to allow a secure authenticating SMTP
relay and an anonymous inbound SMTP relay for mail destined to your own
mail domains.

15.   Installing and Configuring the Windows Server 2003-based ISA
Server 2000 SMTP Filter and Message Screener on the ISA Server Firewall
[DOC] [ZIP]
Want to run the SMTP Message Screener on the ISA firewall and not waste
resources on a second machine or risk putting it on the Exchange Server?
Here's your fix. This article gives the details on how to make it
happen. This article extends the information provided in the Configuring
the Windows Server 2003-based ISA Server 2000 Firewall as a Filtering
SMTP Relay article.

Thomas W Shinder
www.isaserver.org/shinder
ISA Server 2004 Beta - Coming Soon