SMTP Filter and SMTP Filter alerts not sending emails or messages to NT Event Log

  • From: "Nathan Simpson" <nathan@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 16:00:45 -0600

Hi,

I have installed the SMTP filter on its own machine and have setup a few
keyword rules and attachment rules.

These rules appear to be working as I have set them up to forward mail to
my address when a rule is broken. I don't know of any way to test the SMTP
Command Rules.

I also want to setup the SMTP Filter Alert to send emails when a SMTP
Filter rule is broken. I have setup the alert and tested the sending of
email (by pressing the Test button) and it works fine.

When a rule is broken though I don't get an email sent to me. I am pretty
sure that when I had the Message Screen installed on the same machine as
the ISA server the alert emails were being sent (that is a memory from
about 8 months ago). The alerts are also not appearing in the NT Event
Log.

Does the SMTP Filter Alert send emails when a keyword, or attachment rule
is broken?

The other alerts, such as portscan or IP spoofing do send the email
alerts, which I receive on a regular basis.

Also the SMTP Alerts do not appear in the Monitoring | Alerts view.

I think this is because the Message Screener is installed on a seperate
machine. Could this be the case and what steps could I follow to find out
what the problems are?

TIA

Nathan Simpson