Renaming ISA Server

  • From: "Friese, Casey" <cfriese@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Jan 2003 14:06:50 -0500

Greetings,

ISA 2000 - Standard Ed. - Stand Alone
Windows 2000
DSL internet connection (non PPOE - MAC authentication)
Internal ISA Card plugged into switch
Clients plugged into switch
Clients are SecureNat with ISA
All clients can browse the internet

I'm trying to establish a PPTP tunnel with My ISA server in my home
office.
During testing I was able to establish the tunnel fine.  I sent the
server
To the remote office and the tunnel won't connect - reason, unreachable.
I can't ping the IP of the remote ISA either, although - as stated above
-
Clients behind it can browse the internet.  From the remote ISA I can't
browse
The internet or even ping something simple like www.yahoo.com

From a computer sitting anywhere on the internet, when I ping the public
IP address of the remote ISA with the -A option it tries to resolve to a
dns record given by the DSL provider but requests time out.

Now, Because I don't have the ISA Server named what is set in the DSL's
DNS servers I'm thinking that this is the reason why I can't establish
my tunnel or do anything from that server itself.  I know some ISP's -
namely cable ISP's require the connecting computer to have a unique
computer name - the DSL provider claims this is not the case but I can't
think of anything else, am I missing anything - please tell!

I know that when I change the name of the server to match what the ISP
has I have to create a new account on the remote ISA for the home ISA to
use for establishing the tunnel.  Is there anything else that I have to
do for the ISA to continue working as a firewall?

Thanks,
Casey