RE: RES: RE: RES: OT: DNS dies

  • From: "Mark Hippenstiel" <m.hippenstiel@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ISAserver.org Discussion List]'" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2003 15:55:43 +0100

Yes, I remember having read this somewhere, never use 127.0.0.1 instead set
your local ip as the dns server. As to Secure NAT and firewall clients, the
web proxy and firewall service use the dns configured on the external
interface to resolve names.

Normally when not using dial-up, I would configure the external nic's DNS
entry to point to the internal DNS server too, for chaching reasons. This
way I "tunnel" all DNS queries through the internal DNS.

But unfortunately, all this doesn't apply. DNS works nice until it fails :)
Since this is my "lab" setup, it doesn't really matter, because the only
secure nat client is the server itself, but I see trouble coming whith my
exchange server.. We'll see...

Obg,
Mark