Public IP range or Private IP range

  • From: "Jason Merrique" <j.merrique@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 08:51:22 +0100

Hi Chaps,

We're lucky enough to be on an academic network that has offered us an
entire subnet of public IP's. Our setup consists of about 25 desktops,
and four servers. I'm agonising whether or not to put the entire network
within a Private subnet. My gut says yes as it makes it much easier to
hide everything behind our ISA firewall and just publish OWA/RPC over
HTTP/SMTP. But I'm wondering, is this possible or even advisable on
network that consists entirely of public IP's? I suppose it would
require the ISA Firewall to also act as a router. Apologies for any
misuse of terminology.

Note that our vlan isn't totally exposed to the internet, the University
provide basic protection. Though we're meaning to improve this using ISA
2004.

Your insight is appreciated,

Cheers,

Jason