RE: Packet filters ???

  • From: "Francois Malherbe" <Francois@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 21:49:22 +0200

Thanks Thomas

Indirectly, yes, I have seen this newsletter - you probably could see
that some of the info I pasted into my email was directly from the
article: Howto use ISA server Packet Filters.

It still doesn't really answer my question of whether or not it is
possible. I agree that it is inadvisable.

My angle here is that my company recently moved a client from an old
Gauntlet NT Firewall to ISA.
Some problems immediately became apparent:
1) ISA cannot, according to MS, create a packet filter (to a proper DMZ)
for IP protocol 57 - an arbitrary protocol, but we use it for the group
VPN links.
2) ISA cannot, according to everything I have researched, create a
simple packet filter for inbound TCP connections from a DMZ to an
internal SQL server for example. eg: webmail.  However, web publishing
and server publishing cover that angle even though there is a fairly
heavy overhead of rulesets.

Later, another problem reared its head - one of my client's suppliers
hosts a server they need to connect to, on a custom TCP port. When the
protocol rule is in place on ISA, speed is incredibly slow - perhaps 20
to 50 times slower than web access to a web server which is on their
same subnet, behind the same firewall.
As a test, we fired up the old Gauntlet, which used packet filters not
proxy plug-ins, and the speed immediately came up to par with http
access speeds ???

This is the reason for my queries regarding a packet filter.

Francois