OT: Fire suppression in server room

  • From: "Rob Moore" <RMoore@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2005 10:31:39 -0500

Hello all--

This is rather off topic, but I figured you all probably have experience
with this. I KNOW you'll have opinions!  :-)

Our current server room is just a room in our department. The only fire
suppression in there is a fire extinguisher hanging on the wall--nothing
automated. We're building a new server room in the basement, though, and
the space already has water-based sprinklers. The building manager
thinks that should be fine. ("If the sprinklers go off, we just dry off
the servers with a hair dryer and start them back up.") But I'm not so
sure. I know he sees it from a cost point of view--the cost of building
the room--whereas I see it from the cost of having to replace
water-damaged servers, not to mention having downtime while we do that.

What sort of automated fire suppression systems (if any) do you have?

Thanks,
Rob

Rob Moore
Network Manager