Newbie to ISA

  • From: "Friese, Casey" <Casey.Friese@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2002 10:43:24 -0500

Using ISA server with latest updates on native Win2K sp2 environment.  I am
setting up Exchange 2k with 2 nic cards, one for our internal network and
one on the perimiter network.  My ISA server has 3 nic cards, one for
internal, one external and one for a permiter network.

I have a remote office that has a cable connection with an ISP and rather
than spend the money for a dedicate link or a vpn device, the boss wants the
remote office to be able to utilize the cable connection and have the choice
of using either pop3 or OWA.

Because I'm new to the firewall and security scene I'm wondering what
everyone's feelings are on how I have my exchange server setup with the dual
nics.  Does this really buy me any security?  Logic would tell me that if
I'm going to have a box on a permiter network then I should only have one
nic in that box and all traffic, both from the outside and inside destined
for that box should be routed through the ISA server.  If this is the case,
then how do I allow traffic such as AD replication/synchronization and user
mailbox authentication traffic to pass through the ISA server to my exchange
server?  This is the only exchange server in my domain.

Thank You,
Casey Friese