NetBIOS Blues

  • From: "Maurice A. Werner" <mwerner@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 16:00:23 -0600

Thomas:

I have followed your document on "Allowing Intradomain Communications
Through an ISA Server" dated January 28, 2002. We needed this type of
communications for our web and citrix server in our (poor man's) DMZ. All
works well except for one thing... Besides the known ugly side affects of
disabling NetBIOS over TCP/IP in the Device Manager, I get question marks
(?????) where the protocol rules apply to user groups or user domain
accounts. If I click on the "Applies To" tab, I get an error box stating
the operation has failed. Clicking on the details, I get the following
message: "The trust relationship between this workstation and the primary
domain failed." Pechugas! I thought W2K boxes don't need NetBIOS anymore.
Or is this an RPC thing? Is there anyway to establish the trust?

Thanks!

Maurice A. Werner