Re: MSN Messenger Voice on ISA

  • From: "Jim Harrison" <jim@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 19:11:25 -0800

You asked, and here it is:
<article>
    You can't do MSNIM voice / video from behind ISA.
</article>

;-)

The problem is twofold:
1. MSN IM prior to 4.x has "issues" determining the proper IP in a
multihomed environment, but only for voice/video; file transfers work fine.
2. MSN IM 4.x and later use a different V/V technology altogether (requires
SIP) and:
    1. aren't compatible with down-level versions of MSNIM
    2. are just as functional on a multihomed host as previous versions

The Firewall client (required for all complex protocols) causes the host to
appear multihomed to many apps (because it is, sorta).
Hopefully, someone will create a nifty SIP gateway (like the NetMeeting
Gatekeeper) so that these issues disappear.

Jim Harrison
MCP(NT4, W2K), A+, Network+, PCG
http://isaserver.org/authors/harrison/
Read the books!