[isalist] Re: Isa2004 stops publishing SMTP after 2 to 3 days but everyting else continues to work fine

  • From: "Glenn Johnston" <ecll@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2007 17:29:33 -0500

Hi,

The e-mail flow stopped again last night, but this time, after hours, so
without manangement wanting the e-mail fixed NOW, I was able to spend more time
determining exactly what was going on.

Several tests confirmed, no outbound SMTP to the internet, and no inbound SMTP
from the internet.

Looked at the ISA logs, did some network captures, could see no difference
between the working and the non working state.

Then as a further troubling shooting step, I put a hub, between the Internet
ADSL router and the External NIC on the ISA server, pluggged in my notebook,
configured an appropriate IP address, tried to telnet <external IP of the ISA
server> 25, and up poped the exchange banner.

Tried to access a few external mail servers from the notebook, no go. However,
web browsing was still working fine, so the modem had not locked up totally.

Rebooted just the ADSL modem, and it all came good. So it was nothing to do
with the ISA server or exchange, but some strange fault on the ADSL modem, that
SMTP stoped, but as near as I can tell, everything else was still working.

I'll replace the modem today, with a new one, and hopefull it will be issued
resolved.

As always, thanks anyway for the assistance

Regards
Glenn