RE: ISA2004 Vulnerability

  • From: "Alexandre Gauthier" <gauthiera@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 09:39:44 -0500

I think he means something like Nessus. Not "Vulnerabilities in the software"
but rather "How bad is my configuration, have I missed something".

http://www.nessus.org/

If you don't have the resources to run Nessus from outside yourself, you can
pick any of your run-off-the-mill Mickey Mouse Security Analysts firm, you know
"Running automated scanners since 1984".

My current client uses Qualys Guard, it's run to scan two addresses during the
weekend and mail me the reports on Monday. It is slightly more evolved than
Nessus on some regards, but it also moans about non-issues such as "ZOMG YOU
USE NTLM WE AER DOOMED!!!1" and the like.

http://www.qualys.com/

But overall the reports are neat, and you can print one for the pointy haired
bosses with almost no tech details, and one with all the nasty gritty details
and workarounds and external references for the techies if you want.

I'd like to mention that an abrasive, aggressive, unpolite Nessus scan used to
crash our J2EE server due to the long strings and garbage it would feed your
URL to check how tight you are.

... of course for just a matter of "is such and such port accepting
connections" you can pay a visit to our alarmist friend Steve Gibson and his
scary mustache:

https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

Just *don't* read the banter on the website. It will make your brain melt.
"hidden internet server inside your PC" is not the way I'd describe netbios and
smb/cifs.

--

Alexandre Gauthier

Analyste Réseau / Network Analyst