ISA Server in NT4 domain with 1 way trust to internal W2K AD domain

  • From: "Stephen D. Pidgeon" <pidgeon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2002 17:22:43 -0600

I have ISA installed on W2KS  in firewall mode as a member of an NT4 domain
with a public TCP/IP subnet.

I have a non-routable subnet behind the ISA Server which is a W2K AD domain.

I want users to have authenticated access to the Internet from SecureNAT
clients and/or Web Proxy clients.

So, I want a one way trust.  The NT4 domain trusts the W2K AD domain.  This
way ISA will authenticate users in the the internal AD domain.

BUT......

When I try to add the internal W2K domain to the trusted domains on the PDC
it cannot find the internal W2K AD domain, either before or after ISA is
installed.

If I think about this, that is as I would expect.  How would the NT4 PDC
find the W2K AD domain?

BUT...

Page 93 of Configuring ISA Server 2000 actually refers to explicit one-way
trusts between the ISA Server domain and each of the other individual
domains. It also visualizes the situation in figure 2.5

SO....

What am I missing? Or.... Can this not be done when ISA Server is in an NT
40 domain?

Thank you for your assistance in advance.

Stephen D. Pidgeon