ISA Configuration for OWA

  • From: Beth Whyle <bethwhyle@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 13:20:29 -0700 (PDT)

I've spent a few days going in circles over the OWA
authentication methods on the ISA server.
Background information:

Set up the Certificate for HTTPS(also
exported/imported for the internal front end Exchange
server)
Modified the host file on the ISA Server to ensure the
URL was pointing to the address of the internal front
end Exchange server.

Forms-based authentication is turned off on the front
end server.

I followed the instructions for configuring all the
pieces and everything works fine if the authentication
within the OWA Listener on the ISA server is set to
Basic.  However, once I change the authentcation to
FBA and check require all users to authenticate it no
longer works.  The OWA LogOn screen served by the ISA
server comes up but when you try to log in it just
brings you back to the logon screen.

I reviewed the firewall log and when authentication is
set to basic I can see the traffic going to the front
end server(internal) for authentication.

When auth is set to FBA I only see traffic destined
for the ISA Servers external IP address.  Strange?
What mechanism controls the redirect to the front end
server when FBA is selected?

I have silly question that may or may not be related.
When setting up the ISA Server is it necessary to have
IIS Running?  Nothing but OWA is being served from
this server.  Obviously it does not bcs I have it
stopped but I just want to clarify.  When I had it
enabled, it was accepting the https requests to
process itself when in reality I think the OWA HTTPS
Listener needs to handle the request.  Is this sound
logical or am I way off base?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

http://mail.yahoo.com