Re: ISA: 2 probs: iis and the all important quake iii

  • From: "Jim Harrison" <jim@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 2 Sep 2001 18:46:04 -0700

What?!?  Quake III doesn't work and you're wasting your time with IIS?
Shame, shame...
Seriously, I've been working with UT for awhile, too.  The problem seems to
be a lack of standardization of server ports, as each one seems to feel the
need to use as different one, even if they're on different IPs.  Bear in
mind though, that the UT group is one that recommends the following for
"recommended IP settings" (from http://www.ina-support.com/faq/ut_pc.asp): -
"Type in an IP address for your computer. This address MUST start with 196,
197, or 198"

The best way to publish your ISA-based web site is to:
1.  follow Toms' articles on IIS socket pooling
2.  bind the web site(s) to the internal IP on any port other than 80
3.  create destination sets that allow whatever connection method you need
(FQDN or IP)
4.  use web publishing to route the inbound request to the internal IP on
the port assigned to the site(s)
..don't forget to either restart the web proxy service or wait a bit before
testing.

Jim Harrison
MCP(2K), A+, Network+, PCG