RE: FYI: ISA on SBS

  • From: "John Tolmachoff \(Lists\)" <johnlist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ISAserver.org Discussion List]'" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 08:38:37 -0700

I?ll throw my .02 in here. (Since the doctor spoke so highly of SonicWall.)

For what Amy is describing, a small business not running their own Exchange
and only using SQL for small internal processes, SBS with ISA is great.

I think where the need to remove ISA from SBS comes in if you are going to
use SQL heavily or Exchange heavily. In that case, if you were not going to
use OWA, then a SonicWall serving as the firewall would be fine.

However, I would make one more recommendation: If you are going to use OWA
and want those features of Exchange, use SBS with ISA and a SonicWall as the
first line. SonicWall can be configured in what is called Standard mode,
which does not do NAT, instead emulating the default gateway. In this way,
the SonicWall can stop the majority and ISA can then be left to handle all
the RPC stuff.

I would be more than happy to expand on this idea.

John Tolmachoff MCSE CSSA

Engineer/Consultant

eServices For You

www.eservicesforyou.com